Momos, or dumplings are one of its kind.. But this time, it’s double the delish ~ Chili Momos is here for you 🙂
I have been to Kathmandu couple of times, and have stayed for a good time as well.. And, all after that I have a very big soft corner for the city, or I must say the Country Nepal.. This delicacy is very popular around Kathmandu & Nepal.. It’s just divine, but it’s damn spicy 😀
My version is slightly drier as a gravy sorta(that’s how I prefer), you can make it with gravy if you want so.. Also not as spicy as we get there.. So let’s get cooking, shall we?
- For Momos : Cabbage - 1 [grated]
- Onion - 2 [chopped]
- Ginger - 3" Piece [grated]
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - ½ tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp + to grease
- Dough - as required [see notes]
- For the chili momo prep - Oil - to fry + 3 tbsp
- Green Chili - 6
- Garlic - 10 cloves [pressed]
- Momo Red Chutney - 4 tbsp [Recipe video in end]
- Vinegar - ¼ tsp [I used chili vinegar]
- Red Chili paste - 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce - 2-3 drops [totally optional]
- Ketchup - 6 tsp
- Onion - 1 [shelled]
- Salt - to taste
- MSG - a pinch
- Sugar - ¼ tsp [to balance, optional]
- Fried Momos - 18-20
- Scallions & Coriander - As desired
- We'll start by making the filling for momos, for the same - add cabbage, onions, ginger, salt & pepper in a bowl & mix really well. After 2-3 minutes, the mixture will feel much more moist & it;ll start oozing moisture.
- Take some mixture in your hands, squeeze hard and put the mixture into another bowl. Like so, take out excess moisture from the mixture. See notes for uses of the liquid you are left with.
- To the cabbage mixture, add the oil and mix well. Filling is ready. Grease steamer plates with oil.
- Roll out the momo dough(see notes) into 3-4" circles then place about ½ to 1 tsp of filling. Make plates till half(or until semicircle) as shown in video, then press the empty side of dough to the plates. Place into steamer racks. Make more momos like so, then steam for 10 mins in med flame. Let momos stand for 5 mins, then take them out of the steamer and let them cool completely,
- For the chili momo prep ; Heat up oil in a pan to fry the momos. Once hot, fry in high flame until golden. Keep aside.
- In a bowl mix - red momo chutney, vinegar, chili paste, soy sauce, ketchup.
- Heat up a wok, add 2-3 tbsp of oil. Once hot add the slit green chili, garlic. Stir once, then add the onion shells & toss for a minute. Add a pinch of salt & msg and toss.
- Pour down the sauce and ¼ tsp of sugar and cook for a minute. Add the fried momos, stir until momos are coated. Sprinkle a bit of scallions & coriander if you wish, then serve hot!
2. Locals mostly make it with raw veggies, that's why I showed this method this time.
3. The liquid from the veggies is very nutritious & delectable.. You can drink it as it is, I do it all the time I drank all of it, I like it a lot! You can also make thupka, or soup with it.. Or use it as a stock if you wish!
4. My mom has been making momos since like many years, like when I was 3-4 years I have been seeing her making.. In my family everyone loves momos, and so she used to make for us almost every week.. Now-a-days once in a month.. She used to say me, make loyi out of the dough(divide the dough into smaller portions).. I used to enjoy that 😀 Experienced hands!
Fried momos with juicy filling with a spicy & garlicy sauce.. Double the delish for sure.. Make sure you try it, and do share how you liked the dish 🙂
Red Chutney for Momos :
Veg Momos Recipe :
Thanks for tuning in, Bye!