Baking a cake or a cupcake is easy, but if you have have Microwave with Convection Mode and the bakes does not come out as expected, this is for you.
In a normal Oven, there are heating rods in top as well as in the bottom which makes the food bake evenly. These days Microwaves come with Convection Mode which is meant for baking.. Convection is nothing but Fan-Forced Baking, which means there is a fan which circulates the air inside the oven. While this is normal in High-end-OTGs, Built in Ovens, Gas Ranges and so on, which makes the baking happen faster and even.
The scenario is somewhat different in this case, there is only one source of heat, the heating rods are either in top of the Microwave or in the sides.. Which makes the food cook faster from the top/side and slower from beneath, even with the convection/fan forced heating. Yes, this might not happen with each and every Microwave with Convection, but does happen with mine, one more i tested in, and many of you said as well. That the cake i baked in my oven was cooked from top well, but batter was wet inside. Then when i cooked it more, it was overcooked from top.
If you are successfully baking goodies in your MW then, its great! Please don’t follow the excess steps mentioned just follow the recipe if you wish to 🙂
Let’s get into the Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes recipe 🙂[widget id=”text-5″]
- Flour / Maida - 1 Cup
- Oil - ¼ Cup
- Sugar - ½ Cup
- Milk - ½ Cup
- Vinegar - 1½ Tsp
- Baking Soda - ¼ Tsp
- Baking Powder - ½ Tsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
- Start by preheating your Microwave Oven in Convection Mode for 10 Minutes at 170 C.
- Whisk flour,baking soda and baking powder together. In a separate bowl mix milk and vinegar together in another bowl and keep aside. Line a cupcake tray or individual cupcake moulds with Cupcake liners. If using Silicone Moulds no need to line.
- In a mixing bowl, add the oil,sugar, vanilla essence. Beat for a minute or so. Now add the milk and vinegar mixture. Give it a mix.
- Add the flour mixture, and mix it well. And finally use a spatula to fold and mix. Scoop the batter into cupcake liners.
- Open the the microwave and place a small wire stand or something that can elevate the height from touching the turning plate.
- Place the cupcake tray and close the oven, Bake for 15 minutes at 170 C.
- If your oven has its heating rods on top, that means you would have to cover the cupcakes with a sheet of aluminium foil after they are in for about 7-9 minutes to ensure the cupcakes are baked evenly, not overbaked from top and undercooked from beneath. Try and test with your oven, as every oven is different you may or may not need to do this.
- After the cupcakes are baked, test with a toothpick, if it comes out clean, they are ready other another 2-3 minutes..
- Take the cupcakes out from the oven, if you still feel the tops are crisp, you can cover the cupcakes with a damp cloth or a normal cloth for 10 minutes. After the cupcakes are cooled, Dress them with any icing you wish. ENJOY!
Baking is easy, if you understand your oven well.. Try to play around with it and see how it behaves, Some of my foodie friends successfully bake in their MW’s Convection Mode without doing anything.. After-all it all depends upon every oven, I received a few requests for it, some also said that cake is baked but undercooked from center and so on, so did this tutorial. If you are successfully baking, no need to do this 🙂
That’s all for today, Thanks for tuning in!