Cheesy Chili Idli ~ #MothersDay Special Recipe | Indo - Chinese Starter
- Idli Batter - 1 cup
- Salt - 2 taste
- Cheese Slice - 2
- Oil to grease - 2 tbsp
- Bell Pepper - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 large
- Tomato - 1 large
- Ginger - 1/2 inch
- Garlic - 4 - 5
- Green Chili - 1
- Onion Chutney - 2 - 3 tbsp
- Chili Sauce - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Ketchup - 2 tbsp
- Chili Flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
- Split Bengal Gram/Chana Dal - 1 tsp
- Skinless Black Gram/Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 3 - 4
- Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Start by greasing mini/button idli plates. Fill the trays 1/4th of the way with the idli batter. Chop the cheese slices into small pieces and put them over the batter. Cover with more batter.
- Tap a couple of times and steam the idlis in a idli steamer or a pressure cooker(without whistle) for 7-8 minutes. (2-3 mins in high, rest in medium flame)
- After the idlis have been steamed, take them out and let them cool for 5 mins before scooping out from the plates.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and while you wait for it to get hot; crush ginger, garlic, chili in a mortar & pestle.
- To the hot oil, add the mustard seeds. As they splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves, chana dal, urad dal. After the tempering is done, add the chopped onions & crushed ginger garlic chili mix. Stir & cook for a moment.
- Add salt to taste, and cook till the onions start going golden. Then add in the bell peppers & the tomatoes. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- As the peppers are cooked, add the chili flakes, tomato sauce, chili sauce, and some sugar to balance it. Stir well.
- Then add in the onion chutney and some water if needed. Stir, and then add the idlis. Toss it, and Serve Hot!
RECIPE NOTES :
You can enjoy the cheesy idlis as it is as well :D