Winters are here.. I must say, there’s a nip in the air.. Its perfect time to make some Dal Bati Churma!!
My parents lived in Rajasthan for a couple of years.. Mom taught me how to prepare the unbelievably yummy Dal, Bati, Churma.. Dal for the dal bati churma is made with a couple of dals mixed.. Bati is the bread or the dumpling.. And the churma is the crushed batis/paratha’s which is sweetened.. Lets have a close look at the recipe.. Calorie conscious people, please dont look at the recipe 😛 Loaded with Ghee, Meant just for Winters 😀
- For Bati: Coarse Wheat Flour - 2 Cup
- Chickpea Flour/Besan - 2 Tsp
- Ghee - ½ Cup + 2 Tbsp [To coat, Optional]
- Salt - To Taste
- Ajwain/Carom Seeds - 1 Tsp
- For Churma - Coarse Wheat Flour - ½ Cup
- Chickpea Flour/Besan - ½ Tsp
- Ghee - ⅛ Cup + ½ Tbsp [To coat, Optional]
- Sugar - 3-4 Tbsp
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- For Dal - Urad Dal - ¼ Cup
- Moong Dal - ⅛ Cup
- Chana Dal - ⅛ Cup
- Onions - ½ Cup
- Tomato - ½ Cup
- Coriander - To Garnish
- Ginger - 1 Tsp
- Garlic - 2 Tsp
- Gr Chili - ½ Tsp
- Hing - 1 Pinch
- Cumin - ½ Tsp
- Kasoori Methi - ½ Tsp
- Salt - To Taste
- Red Chili Powder - 1 Tsp
- Turmeric - ½ Tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1½ Tsp
- Cumin Powder - ½ Tsp
- Amchur - ½ Tsp
- Oil - 3 Tsp
- For Bati: In a bowl/plate, mix the ingredients and make a stiff dough using sufficient water. Cover and let it rest for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, make 8 portions out of the dough. Place them in a baking tray, coat with some ghee. Bake these at 200 Degree C for 15 mins. Take out and flip over, bake for another 10 mins. Lightly press the batis with hands or potato masher and dip in ghee! Bati is ready.
- For Churma: Make a stiff dough out of wheat flour, besan, ghee and sufficient water. Let it rest for 30 mins. Make 2 portions out of the dough. Place them in a baking tray, coat with some ghee. Bake these at 200 Degree C for 15 mins. Take out and flip over, bake for another 10 mins.
- Crush these with hands or potato masher. And pulse twice in blender(optional to pulse, these batis just get break with hands). Add ghee and sugar and mix well. Churma is ready..
- For Dal - Soak the dals for 2 hr and pressure cook with some salt. Heat some oil in a pan. Once hot, add in the cumin, hing. ginger, garlic, gr chili. Cook until brown. Add in the onions, salt. Cook until onions sweat.
- Add in the tomatoes, stir and cook until tomatoes are mushy. Add in the chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric, coriander powder. Cook for another minute, then add in the cooked dal, and water. Stir and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add in the kasoori methi, amchur powder, coriander. Adjust the consistency by adding more water, let it boil. Dal is ready!
- What are you waiting for? Go ahead, and pour that dal over that bati, crush with hands and dig into it.. 😉 Everything is stupendous!
Instead of dipping the batis into ghee after its made, you can pour in 2 tsp of ghee in each bati!
Make this stupendous meal and enjoy folks!!
Until Next time, Take Care.
Thanks, Have a great time!