Veg Momos, aka Steamed Dumplings is one such thing that makes everyone crave from toddlers, to teenagers like me, to youth like my sissy, and adults like my dad. 😀 And, every time we make it, we literally have a hard time rolling so many dumplings as we all love it so much. Jokes apart, Momos is traditionally a Tibetan dish, years after its popularity in the Tibet people in Nepal, Bhutan and North-eastern India have claimed it to be their dishes. No offences here guys. We respect food, let it come from anywhere. So, the below version is a simple recipe which you may find similar to some of the Veg Momo stalls in Darjeeling!
Guests coming in? Well, you can definitely make it for the appetizer. (Disheartening fact, Darjeeling street vendors sell 7-8 of these at INR 10-15 bucks, crazily low priced)
Dips for Veg Momos:
Green Chili Chutney – Recipe here
- Grated Cabbage - 1½ medium size
- Finely chopped onion - 2 large
- Grated Ginger - 2 inch piece(1 tbsp)
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Black pepper - as per taste
- Maida(plain flour) - 1 cup
- Oil - as needed
- For stuffing: Add in the cabbage, onions and grated ginger to melted butter with a tbsp. of oil in to wide pan. And, let it cook until the moisture vanishes. Add the salt and pepper. And, cook for some more time.
- For dough: Create a semi stiff dough from the plain flour by adding some salt. After done, pour in some oil and knead for 2-3 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth for 15 minutes.
- For making Dumplings: Take a small amount of dough, and start rolling in a greased surface. Dust flour as needed to make a thin base for momo. Add about a tsp of stuffing. And, seal as shown in the video.
- For Steaming: Boil water in a steamer. While the water is boiling, grease the steamer decks. After greasing add momos to the decks.After water boils, add the decks to the steamer and cover cook for 7-10 mins.
- After they get cooked, they will get a little bit transparent. After cooking for 10 mins, let them rest for 2-3 mins in the covered steamer. Finally that shake the steamer and the momos will come out, if you have greased the decks well.
- Serve it Hot with Red Chilli/Sesame Seed Chutney/Ketchup/Green Chili Dip
Don’t forget to check out the paneer version of this awesome appetizer. Recipe here.
Until then, Happy CookingShooking! 🙂