Street Style Butter Dosa Recipe | Indian Street Food
Special Dosa Batter
- Par Boil Rice - 1 cup
- Urad Dal - 1/4 cup
- Chana Dal - 1/4 cup
- Normal Rice - 1/4 cup
- Methi Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water -
- Tomato - 2 sliced
- Onion - 1 chopped
- Butter - 100 gm cubed
- Green Chilies - 2 - 3 chopped
- Karam Podi - 1/2 cup
- Coriander - 1/4 cup
- Cheese Slice - for cheese dosa
- Suji - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water - 2 cups
For Dosa Batter
- In a bowl add both the type of rice and methi seeds. Wash it twice and soak it for 2 hours.
- After two hours, add the urad dal and chana dal let it soak for 2 more hours. Grind it to make a coarse paste. Somewhat smooth, if you feel the batter in your index finger you should be able to feel grains rest it should be smooth.
- Cover and let it ferment for 4-5 hours in summers or 7-8 hours in winter.
- After its fermented, add salt to taste and mix really well. Also add more water for desired spreadable consistency.
For Making Upma
- In a pan add the oil and let it heat up. Once its hot add the mustard and once it crackles add the suji,water,salt and give it a stir.
- Once it gets a roaring boil. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
For Making Dosa
- Heat a seasoned iron tawa or a nonstick tawa. Once hot, spread some oil and wipe that off with a piece of wet cloth.
- Now add two ladle fulls of batter and spread that. Switch the flame to high and once its slighlty cooked add 2 tbsp upma, 1 big cube of butter and 1 1/2 tbsp of karam podi. Using a spoon spread that really well.
- Once it is well spread-ed add the onions, squeeze a tomato slice,add some green chili, throw in some coriander and let it cook for a minute.You can add a cheese slice if you wish.
- Half fold or full fold the dosa and take it out using a spatula and serve piping hot and dont forget to throw in some thin coconut chutney over it.
RECIPE NOTES :
I've been experimenting with Karam Podi variations. Here's the latest one I had made. However, I'll update the recipe if I get even delicious podi! But this is amazing as well! 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander, 2 tbsp Chana Dal, 1 1/2 tbsp urad dal, 10 Dry Red chili, 1 Tsp Ghee, 5 Garlic Cloves, 3-4 walnut-sized Tamarind Balls, 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds, 10 Curry Leaves' 1/4 Tsp Hing, 1/2 tsp Methi' 1/2 Tsp Mustard. In a pan, add the ghee and add all the other ingredients and slow roast it until its well roasted. Let it cool completely then grind to a coarse powder. Use!