Traditional Steamed Modak Recipe | Ukadiche modak - Ganesh Chaturthi Special
- Water - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup
- Grated Fresh Coconut - 1 cup
- Roasted Poppy Seeds - 1 tbsp
- Roasted Sesame Seeds - 1 tbsp
- Mixed Chopped Nuts - 4 tbsp
- Cardamom Pods - 6
For the dough
- Water - 1 cup +to steam
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Roast the poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Set it aside.
- In a pan, add the jaggery to melt. Add a tsp. of ghee so that it melts well and doesn't stick to the pan. Once the jaggery melts, add in the fresh grated coconut. Next in, add the roasted poppy seeds and roasted sesame seeds. Top it with the nuts and crushed cardamom pods. Stir well and the stuffing is ready.
- Take a pan, add a cup of water and let it to boil. Add a 1 tsp. of ghee, salt and sugar to the water. Next, add the rice flour to the mixture, and mix well. Cook it for 2 min And, then off the flame and cover it up with a lid for 5 mins.
- To form the dough, bring down the rice flour mix to a surface, and start forming a dough by slowing adding little water and ghee whenever needed. Once, it is smooth, and not breaking, it shall be good for the modaks.
- In the steamer bottom, let the water boil and in the mean time lets make the modaks.
- Grease the modak mold with ghee, add the dough t it, form the shape, fill the stuffing and close. Bring out of the modak mold. Same way, do all the modaks.
- Once all the modaks are done, place them to the steamer decks, which is lined with muslin cloth. Plantain leafs can be used if available. Steam for 15- 20 mins in medium flame.
- Pour in some melted ghee to the steaming hot modak, and Modaks are ready to be served.
RECIPE NOTES :