Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani
For Preparing Vegetables
- Carrot - 1 diced
- Potato - 1 cubed
- Green Peas - 1 tbsp
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Paneer - 1/2 cup cubed
- Cauliflower Florets - 1/2 cup
- Mint & Coriander - handful of them
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Whole Garam Masalas - 2 Cardamom; 2 Cloves; 1/4 tsp Cumin; 2' Cinnamon Stick
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Shahi Biryani Masala - 1 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Fried Onion - a little
For Preparing Rice
- Water - 6 cups
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 2 - cloves; 2 - cardamom; 1 - cinnamon stick; 1/4 tsp - cumin seeds
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Basmati Rice - 380 gm (soaked - 1 hr)
For Preparing Layers
- Prepared Rice -
- Prepared Vegetables -
- Yogurt -
- Saffron water - 1/2 cup
- Mint & Coriander - handful
- Fried Onions -
- In a kadhai add oil. Now add whole garam masala, ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Now add carrot, potatoes, cauliflower, peas and salt. Saute until they are lightly cooked.
- After the veggies are a bit cooked, add in biryani masala, red chili powder, garam masala powder and gradually add yogurt stirring well to prevent curdling of curd.
- Now add mint, coriander, paneer. Cook until the moisture gets dried out which was caused due to adding yogurt. This would take approx 5 minutes. Veggies should not be cooked completely as we will dum it later on. It should 70% cooked.
- After the moisture is dried, add some fried onions and transfer to a bowl.
- Boil water. Add oil, whole garam masala, salt. Boil until roaring boil. Add the soaked rice. In about 3-4 minutes in high flame rice will be 70% done. Test by eating some if it has a bite but its tastes like cooked or press between ur fingers. If breaks into 2 parts its ready. Strain it and spread on a big plate.
- Take a cooker, add half of the vegetables, yogurt, green chilli, a pinch of salt and some nuts. Let it heat. Now add a handful of mint coriander. Now top it off with a good layer of rice.
- Next add the remaining vegetables, remaining mint-coriander(leave 1 tsp. for top), fried onions and the rice. Spread the rice and add the saffron mixture with a bit of mint-coriander, fried onion.
- Now sprinkle 1/4 cup of water over it, Cover and cook for 2 minutes in lowest flame.
- Transfer the cooker to a big pot with some water. This water bath prevents the dum to get burnt.. In about 30-35 minutes the Biryani is ready to make you dig into it.
RECIPE NOTES :
Cut vegetables in a uniform size. Veggies are less, but the rice is used more for Biryanis. You could use raw chopped nuts or saute them in oil and add.<br/>Make sure to soak rice for at least 1 hour.