Mirchi Vada Recipe - South Indian Style
- Green Chili -
- Besan / Chickpea Flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Salt - as per taste
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp - 4 - 5 tbsp
- Crushed Sesame Seeds - 4 - 5 tbsp
- Oil - to fry
- Boil a 2 Cups ofwater. Remove from heat and add the chilies into it! Let it be there for 30 seconds. Then take them off and pat dry!
- Slit the chilies from one side to fill the filling.
- Mix the tamarind and sesame. You can add less sesame and more tamarind to suit your taste buds.
- Stuff about 1/2 tsp or less of the stuffing into the chilies.
- In a mixing Bowl, mix the besan, salt, baking powder, turmeric. Add water and make a thick batter. Batter should be thick otherwise it wont coat well!
- Dip the chilies into the batter. Coat really well and slide them to the hot oil. Once chilies are added to hot oil, lower the flame and cook until golden brown!
- Serve Hot!!
RECIPE NOTES :
Don't keep the chili in hot water any longer. That'll make the stalk soft! You can use any pepper. Jalapeno, Hungarian Wax, Bhavnagri Mirch, or any variant you have. Just ensure that it's not too hot! You can stuff the chilies and let them rest for an hour or two. I usually make it straight away. After adding the chili to hot oil, lower the flame to ensure even cooking!